There are two ways to go about testing samples. One is to do it in-house. The other is to have the Mexican manufacturer do it. There are distinct advantages to both.
By testing in Mexico will avoid having to send samples back-and-forth between the two countries. Baja´s manufacturing hub is a short 10-minute drive from the San Diego-Mexico border, so having a company representative at this stage is an option.
If you decide to run the tests in-house, sending samples back and forth to Mexico is quick and inexpensive (as compared to sending them to China).
- The Contract Manufacturing agent can take care of the delivery of items to and from Mexico, or indicate you how to do it with minimum hassle.
- The testing stage will bring to surface any glitches that may have gone unnoticed during the design stage and will help avoid costly and time-consuming surprises. This is when you want to catch those hiccups when they are easier to correct.
- On each sample production run, you´ll get a slightly different product as the factory may tweak the design or try different materials to comply with your needs
- If the shortcomings can´t be solved, you may have to go back to the drawing table. Otherwise, you are ready to go!
3. Finding a Manufacturer
The nice thing about manufacturing in Mexico (vs. China) is that it does not necessarily entail placing orders in the thousands. You can have a more moderate production (hundreds), by working with local workshops or smaller factories.
If your production eventually grows to the point where you want to order larger quantities, we´ll help you find a manufacturer that suits your needs.
Every manufacturer in our network is reliable, and can deliver quality and service in due time and form.
- Though asking other manufacturers for referrals may sound like the thing to do, their input may be of little use unless they work in your industry. There is an immense difference between manufacturing electronics and clothing.
- Sadly, people in your industry may not be willing to help. Why would they share information that will grant you a competitive advantage over them?
- A good solution is finding a Contract Manufacturing broker in the U.S. Not just a rep, but someone who deals directly with Mexican factories. This arrangement provides the security of doing business in the U.S., under U.S. jurisdiction, while benefiting from manufacturing in Mexico.
- A full-service outsourcing agent will be particularly helpful in navigating the import-export process, which can be quite puzzling if you have no experience (especially the legalities, Mexican “pedimentos” and the various fees).
- Having a broker help you with the manufacturing process in Mexico is an advantage.
However, the more informed you are, the better prepared you will be to build a successful business. Go to our web page and download our FREE Outsourcing Guide: http://www.outsourzia.com/